NCCK Jumuia Hospitals Job Vacancy : Nurse in Kenya December 2017
NCCK Jumuia Hospitals Job Vacancy : Nurse in Kenya
NCCK Jumuia Hospitals Career Vacancy : Nurse
- Company: NCCK Jumia Hospital
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Healthcare/Medical Jobs in Kenya
Jumuia Hospitals Ltd. a group of hospitals providing both primary and secondary health care services and a subsidiary of the National Council of Churches of Kenya, invites applications from interested and suitably qualified candidates, to fill the following position in their Hospital in Huruma Nairobi
The position holder is accountable and responsible for assessing, planning, implementing and evaluating the nursing care given to the patient. As part of a multidisciplinary team the post holder will have responsibility for assessment of care needs and evaluation of programs of care ensuring the delivery of high quality care to patients.
Duties for the General Nurse Job
- Delivering quality nursing care with compassion, competence and critical thinking skills in their respective areas of practice
- Demonstrating caring, comforting, qualities and communicates with an empathetically and individualistic approach.
- Ensuring the provision of safe environment in both preventive and promotive aspects for all patients, relatives and significant others.
- Maintaining interdepartmental, inter-unit coordination and communication.
- Possessing knowledge regarding the Standard Operating Procedure (SOPs) and clinical protocols of the ward/unit.
- Interpreting the department’s policies and procedures to personnel, residents, visitors, and accrediting bodies as required.
- Liaising with consultants and heads of other departments for effective implementation of patient care and minimizing errors of omission and commission.
- Maintaining relevant documents and adhering to established reporting system.
- Periodically updating knowledge on clinical areas, translating them at the bed side and participating in their continuing nursing education.
- Maintaining professional decorum at all times.
- Providing leadership and clinical decision making to all nurses and other members (secretaries, housekeeping staff etc.) of the unit.
- Ensuring adequacy of stock by indenting, maintaining the same, keeping in mind the need for lean practices.
- Maintaining records and establishing adequate reporting with accurate documentation.
- Predicting emergency situation and preparing the unit for its smooth function.
- Participating effectively in hospital infection control policies including hand-washing, bio-medical waste management, cleaning and fumigation protocols, needle-stick injury protocols, spill management, prevention of surgical site infection, prevention of catheter related blood stream infection, prevention of catheter related urinary tract infection, prevention of Ventilator Associated Pneumonia, guidelines for nosocomial infections (MRSA, Acinetobacter and so on).
- Practicing safe medication management principles that include drug calculation, IV therapy, drug indenting and administration, prevention of drug errors, and crash cart maintenance.
- Ensuring that all he/she has undergone the BLS (In-house) and overview of ACLS training
- Providing patient safety following patient safety goals including provision of care for the vulnerable patients.
- Ensuring prompt assessment of wound site using the Braden Scale, providing appropriate treatment and the practice of complete documenting.
- Ensuring that all investigation reports are collected and reported on time to the concerned physician for treatment decision.
- Reporting high alert investigation results to the sister in-charge and seeks medical help for prompt action and record the interventions done.
- Ensuring safe transportation of the patient to diagnostic tests/other wards or units.
- Conducting an initial thorough assessment of every patient upon admission.
- Performing ongoing assessment of patients to identify needs and problems.
- Raising menu card upon admission and as and when the dietary needs alter.
- Ensuring that the paramedical services reach patients on time. For example: Physiotherapy, Dietary.
- Making keen observation for early identification of warning signs of complication.
- Supervising non – professional staff in the cleanliness and orderliness of the ward and transportation of the patient.
- The senior staff nurse assumes responsibility in the absence of the unit in-charg
- The junior staff nurse assumes responsibility in the absence of the senior staff nurse
Attitudes and Behavior:
- Possesses the attitude to make patient care the primary concern
- Seeks to treat patients ethically maintaining patient’s right to dignity, privacy, autonomy and confidentiality
- Coordinates and maintains interpersonal relationship and team spirit in a manner that best serves patient’s interest
- Understands and follows the Hospital rules and regulations and demonstrates positive attitude when it comes to additional duties required by in the Chief of Nursing
- Translates hospital rules and regulations in all matters that best serves patients interest
- Serves as a role model to the Nursing team in all his or her activities
- Follows the Duty Rota and plans leave ahead with the in-charge. Thereby ensuring and maintaining adequate nurse patient ratio during every shift in accordance with hospital policy
- Refrains from absenteeism
- Identifies role models to develop professionally
- Must be aware of Jumuia Hospital Mission, Vision, Scope of services, various policies and the organogram of the Nursing Department
- Relieves the shift in-charge as and when required
- Supervises patient diet
- Participates in the planning, maintenance and inventory of equipment and supplies in the unit
- Ensures that the Nursing Care protocol is followed in rendering nursing care
- Participates in the maintenance of records and reports pertaining to the unit
- Makes written and oral reports/recommendations concerning the activities of his/her shift as required for continuity of care
- Interprets the department’s policies and procedures to personnel, residents, visitors, and accrediting bodies as required
- Supervises non – professional staff in the cleanliness and orderliness of the ward and transportation of the patient
- Identifies and reports occurrences in daily work and participates actively in identifying the root cause
- Implements policies pertaining to patient care in the concerned unit
- Makes suggestions for improving patient care facilities
- Contributes periodically towards updating and incorporating newer protocols
- Acts on request by the Chief of Nursing to conduct Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) classes
- Updates knowledge with current advances in treatment, care and research
- Attends continuing educational programs designed to keep abreast of changes in the nursing profession
- Participates in the development, planning, conducting, and scheduling of CNE training classes that provides instructions on “how to do the job”
- Actively involves in unit based teaching-learning
- Participates in the training of Non-Professional staff in the unit
- Ensures that the patient educational needs are met
- Reports to work on time as per shift timings
- Follows strict handing over and taking over policy
- Ensures that the unit is ready for the shift functioning at the beginning of every shift
- Ensures that the equipment and supplies including medications are ready for the following shifts
- Maintains accurate, detailed reports and records about the nursing care provided and patient responses to care and treatment, including medications
- Consults and coordinates with the medical team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate patient care plans
- Modifies patient treatment plans as indicated by patients’ responses and conditions
- Monitors record and report symptoms and changes in patients’ conditions and escalate for further plan of care
- Ensures that all investigation reports are collected and reported on time to the concerned physician for treatment decision
- Reports high alert investigation results to the sister in-charge and seeks medical help for prompt action and record the interventions done
- Ensures safe transportation of the patient to diagnostic tests/other wards or units
- Ensure the Discharge process and maintain the records.
- Seeks medical assistance and ensures that it is provided
- Renders comprehensive care to the patient with special attention to the psychological and educational needs
- Acts as a liaison between the patient, family and hospital personnel as and when required
- Includes family in the care that is planned for the client
- Prepares patients for, and assist with, examinations and treatments
- Prepares patients and their family for discharge and home care if any to continue
- Cooperates for research activities in the unit
- Improve patient care through interdepartmental audits
- Explore possibility of interdisciplinary clinical researches and cross cultural researches
- Implement evidenced based practice
General Nurse Job Qualifications
- At least Secondary School Education (KCSE).
- Degree/Diploma in Information or Computer Technology
- Training in hardware and networking
Other Competencies/Abilities/Skills Required
- High levels of integrity
- Good interpersonal skills and communication skills
- Basic Accounting skills
- Must have worked in a similar position for at least two years
How to Apply