IRA Job Opportunity Legal Officer in Kenya April 2017
IRA Career Vacancy Legal Officer in Kenya April 2017
IRA Jobs Vacancy Legal Officer in Kenya April 2017
- Company: IRA
- Location: Nairobi, Nairobi County, Kenya
- State: Nairobi
- Job type: Full-Time
- Job category: Legal Jobs in Kenya
The Insurance Regulatory Authority (IRA) is a State Corporation set up under the Insurance Act Cap 487 to regulate, supervise and develop the insurance sector in Kenya.
The Authority is seeking applications for the following vacant position
Grade IRA 5
Responsible to the Corporation Secretary/Chief Manager, Legal
Affairs for effective review and interpretation of the Insurance Act and other Statutes.
Drafting of leases, contracts, agreements and other legal documents. Ensuring effective litigation management and alternative dispute resolution.
Giving necessary support to the insurance appeals tribunal.
Monitoring implementation of the compliance strategy. Providing administrative services for board secretarial duties.
Legal Officer Job Responsibilities
- To assist the Corporation Secretary with the formulation, development and implementation of corporate legal policies and procedures.
- To assist the Corporation Secretary in providing administrative services to the Board.
- To assist the Corporation Secretary with the provision of leg
al advice and interpretation to the Authority on matters that relate to the Insurance Act and other related laws.
- To attend to litigation matters and brief the Corporation Secretaryas appropriate on court case proceedings and possible courses of action to take.
- To liaise with the Attorney General’s Chambers and as appropriate on representation of court cases.
- To draft proposed amendments to the Insurance Act, presentation of any document or instrument that requires approval by the Attorney
- To provide legal advice to other Sections/Divisions on various matters of law.
- To liaise with the Consumer Protection Section in complaint resolution activities as may be necessary.
- To assist the Corporation Secretary with the formulation, implementation and monitoring of the divisional budget, work plans and procurement plans.
- To offer legal support to the supervision team in the course of inspections, approvals and enforcement pursuant to the Insurance Act, Regulations and Guidelines.
- To prepare in consultation with Corporation Secretary, legal drafts and negotiate contracts, leases, formal agreements and other legal instruments between the Authority and other parties and participate in settlement and arbitration of disputes.
- To ensure compliance by the Authority with the Insurance Act and other relevant laws.
- To carry out any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Qualifications for the Legal Officer Job
- Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized university
- Certified Public Secretary and a Member of the ICPSK in good standing.
- Post graduate Diploma in Legal Education from Kenya School of Law.
- Must be an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya and a Member of the Law Society of Kenya in good standing.
- A Masters’ degree in a relevant field will be an added advantage
- Minimum Seven (7) years’ experience in providing legal services as well as demonstrated experience in drafting, litigation management and law enforcement.
- Excellent communication, listening, negotiation, analytical, influencing, proposal and report writing skills.
- Excellent computer skills specifically on MS Office applications.
- Excellent investigative, research and drafting skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team player.
- Maturity, confidentiality, impartiality and trustworthiness.
- High level of integrity.
- Ability to work under pressure, prioritize and multi task
How to ApplyIf you believe you are the right candidate for the above position and can clearly demonstrate your ability to meet the job requirements given, please submit your application with a detailed CV, stating your position, current remuneration, qualifications, experience, names and addresses of three referees, email and telephone contacts together with copies of your certificates and testimonials by 28th April 2017 to:
The Ag. Chief Executive Officer Insurance Regulatory Authority Zep-Re Place P.O Box 43505-00100 Nairobi
OR Email: email@example.com