AAH-Kenya Business Development Officer Job in Kakuma 2016
Career Employment : AAH-Kenya Business Development Officer Job in Kakuma
Action Africa Help International (AAH-I) is an African-led, regional organisation, working in Kenya, Somalia, South Sudan, Uganda, and Zambia.
It brings over 25 years’ experience working with communities in conflict and post-conflict situations, including refugees, internally displaced people, host communities and communities in urban slums.
The AAH Kenya, Kakuma Refugee Assistance Programme (KRAP) aims to enhance self-reliance and sustainable livelihoods of 4,080 refugees in Kakuma Camp, Turkana County, through development of models that will address resilience, safety net and consumption; skills enhancement, employment opportunities and enterprise development.
AAH-Kenya is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following position to be based in Kakuma refugee camp:
Job Title: Business Development Officer
Department / Section: Livelihoods
Grade: AH 6
Reports to: Project Manager
Liaises with: UNHCR and other Partners on ground
Duty Station: Kakuma Refugee Camp with field visits to Kalobeyei Settlement Site
Job Summary: To play a central role in supporting innovative livelihoods initiatives to facilitate a broad based entrepreneurial mind-set and a new set of business development ideas among the PoCs in Kakuma Refugee Camp.
This will involve working with other project officers, UNHCR, partner organizations and PoC community in the camp.
Duties & Responsibilities
Key activities will involve the coordination and mainstreaming of business development activities in the refugee camp.
He/she will be tasked with managing and coordinating the implementation of livelihood activities in the refugee camp, within the framework of the UNHCR Livelihood Resilience programme being implemented by AAHI.
The business development officer will provide administrative and technical support to the overall institutional business plan and support individuals and business groups in the camp:
- Coordinate and grow the revolving fund within the context of the micro finance model, using best case studies
- Support with the establishment of a business centre model; complete with incubation unit.
- Develop and nurture appropriate documentation in respect of good case studies in collaboration with the Communications team in Nairobi and UNHCR
- Work in collaboration with and support the Project Officers: Community Mobilisation and Agriculture in their respective areas of activity implementation (e.g. training and mainstreaming)
- Coordinate the socio economic profiling of the new and existing PoCs.
- Serve as the primary link to the refugee community and play facilitative role in organizing community dialogue meetings.
- Establish and build AAHI relationships with PoC community in Kakuma and other stakeholders
- Identify linkages and areas of collaboration and synergy with other organizations implementing Livelihood-business related activities (e.g. LWF with VSLAs, NCCK etc)
- Actively promote the AAHI approach to livelihoods’ business segment with emphasis on promoting group development through support, coaching, mentoring, feedback and identification of investment needs and opportunities.
- Directly supervise the incentive workers.
- Identifying opportunities and innovative approaches to support livelihood business activities in the refugee camp.
- Enable individuals, groups and business associations and communities to identify needs and encourage involvement in livelihood business activities.
- Support the development of existing businesses, the establishment of business groups and the formation of community focused networks.
- Ensure that targets and work schedules are adhered to in order to achieve objectives, maintain appropriate documentation and prepare monthly activity and achievement reports.
- Carry out evaluation of initiatives and actions in a systematic way with UNHCR and staff teams
- Perform any other functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the supervisor in order to meet the level of services in the organization
Qualification and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Microfinance or Entrepreneurship, or relevant tertiary qualification in cooperative and Economic Development studies, and/or experience in related fields,
- Experience in community policy development & advice; facilitating, coordinating, and managing project plans.
- At least 3 years of progressive programming experience including understanding of and ability to promote empowering and developmental models in community work through highly effective communication skills
- Proven credibility, integrity and professionalism – demonstrates these characteristics at all times.
- Ability to assist groups to formulate their ideas into constructive actions, ability to undertake community based research, and to effectively complete projects.
- Exercises sound judgment and political sensitivity – especially in relation to the community organisation, local governments etc.
- UNHCR Field experience.
- Knowledge and exposure to the social and cultural values of the region concerned.
- Proficiency in local language(s).
- Experience in formulating funding applications.
- A proven track record working well with the local community.
- Welcomes and values diversity, and contributes to an inclusive working environment where differences are acknowledged and respected.
Skills & Competences
- Excellent communicational skills (written and spoken)
- Skilled in influencing and obtaining cooperation of individuals;
- Able to manage relationships to achieve results.
- Organisational and mobilization skills
- ICT speciality (email, Spread-sheets, MS-word, Databases, job-related software, etc.)
- Team-work and participation
- Level of self-supervision and ability to take initiative
- Degree of accuracy and attention to detail
- Good report-writing writing and reporting skill
- INGO experience and understanding of humanitarian sector
- Commitment to and understanding of AAH-I’s vision, mission, and values.
Interested candidates should email application letters and CVs (with 3 referees) addressed to email@example.com
Shortlisting and interviews will be done on a rolling basis.
The email Subject Line must show the job title of the position applied for.
AAH-I is an equal-opportunity employer.
Only those selected for the interviews will be contacted